According to a recent Whiskey Journal poll, more and more people are listening to something called popular music.
Before our study was conducted, it was assumed that kids, preteens, teens, young adults, adults, the young elderly, and the elderly, all listened to Primus.
In actuality, “pop music” (short for popular music) is on the rise!
You may remember the term being used to describe the catchy tunes of Cole Porter, and Duke Ellington. Now, young artists like Justin Bieber are keeping this great tradition alive.
Cole Porter, penning the lyrics for “Call Me Maybe”
Pop music blends so well into our everyday lives, that it can be difficult to tell if you’re even listening to it.
Here are a few helpful tips to guide you as you surf the radio:
- If you hear the same three songs played on repeat YOU MIGHT be listening to pop music.
- If you can’t tell if the lyrics are referring to sex, or just really detailed hugging YOU MIGHT be listening to pop music.
- If the only black person in the song is rapping during a five second bridge to the chorus YOU MIGHT be listening to pop music.
- If the only white person in the song is Adam Levine YOU MIGHT be listening to pop music.
- If Adam Levine is in the song YOU DEFINITELY ARE listening to pop music.
The Whiskey Journal highly recommends you use this nifty website called Billboard.com to find out what new songs are selling out.